Skip to main content

Copyright for students and faculty: Getting Permission

Copyright This guide is intended to provide information about copyright and should not be construed as legal advice. If you have legal questions concerning copyright, please consult appropriate legal counsel.

Copyright Clearance Center Annual Academic License

The Annual Copyright License is an annual license that allows the reuse of text-based copyrighted content within higher education institutions.

What is covered ?

Educational uses include:

  • Coursepacks—paper and electronic
  • Class handouts
  • Library reserves—traditional and e-reserves
  • Electronic Course Content
  • Administrative Communication

Research uses include:

  • Faculty-to-faculty sharing
  • Student-to-student sharing

License Exclusions

  • Interlibrary loan and external document delivery transactions.
  • Non-educational uses (e.g. promotional and advertising).
  • Reproduction of the entire work unless specifically noted by the rights holder.
  • Creation of a database or a repository of works if it replaces the need for a subscription or is available for multiple people's use outside the context of a class.