What resources are available?
- Library Search for books, eBooks, articles, and other library materials.
- Research Guides to help you find the best library resources for your field of study.
- Tutorials and the Online Library Orientation to help you get started and to improve your research skills.
- Databases: multidisciplinary and subject specific collections of peer-reviewed articles, including Academic Search Complete, CINAHL, ERIC, JSTOR, MEDLINE, ProQuest, PsycINFO, SocINDEX and more.
- Online full-text access to articles in thousands of journals, newspapers, and magazines, through our databases or Periodicals @ Foley.
- Streaming videos on a wide variety of topics from the Films on Demand and Kanopy databases
What services are available?
- Librarians, at your service! Get research assistance through our 24/7 online chat, phone, email or by appointment.
- Interlibrary Loan service (ILLiad) to help you get books and articles not available at Foley.
- Document & Book Delivery. If you live 35+ miles from campus and do not come to campus on a regular basis, we will mail library books to your home.
What services are NOT available?
- Our librarians are happy to help you with research projects, but we cannot do your research for you.
- Getting articles through interlibrary loan and document delivery is pretty fast, but immediate delivery is not supported. See the "How long will it take" section below.
- Sorry, but Interlibrary loan may not be used to borrow textbooks.
Are these services free?
- Most listed services are free.
- Distance learners are responsible for postage to return books.
- All library users are responsible for replacement costs for lost or damaged items.
- Interlibrary loans are usually free, but occasionally other libraries may charge lending fees and copyright charges may apply to journal articles. Foley Library covers most of these costs, but if a lending fee exceeds $17 or a copyright fee exceeds $50, we will contact you and give you the option of paying the difference or canceling the request.
How do I request a book or an article?
- Use the Gonzaga Library Search to find books in our collection. Log in to place a request. If your address in the GU system indicates you are a distant student (35+ miles from campus), we will mail books to you.
- Create an ILLiad account to request articles that are not available online or to request books that are NOT owned by Foley Library.
- TIP: Check Periodicals at Foley before submitting an article request. The article you need may be immediately available online through one of our subscriptions.
What is ILLiad?
- ILLiad is our interlibrary loan (ILL) and document delivery system. You will use it to request books and articles not available through Foley Library. Graduate students may also use ILLiad to request copies of articles from the Foley Library print collection. For more information go to ILLiad FAQ
Do I need my Gonzaga ID number for any of this?
- Your Gonzaga ID number is also your library account number.
How long will it take to receive requested items?
- Articles requested through ILLiad typically take 1-2 days to arrive.
- Books and other materials requested through ILL arrive at Foley Library within 5-10 days. We then mail it to you (if you are a distant student), unless you specify a different pickup or delivery option.
- Canadian students, mail delivery to Canada is slow! Allow at least 4 weeks for mail from Spokane for books to arrive.
- ILLiad requests are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. At peak times of the semester processing may be slowed by a higher than normal request level. At those times, we can only guarantee processing five requests per person per day. If you have questions about a request contact the Interlibrary Loan office email@example.com.
How will I receive items requested?
- Articles are always delivered electronically. You will receive an e-mail notification whenever a new article is posted to your ILLiad account. We recommend downloading them as so as they arrive. They are removed from the ILLiad server after 30 days.
- Interlibrary Loan books are mailed to the address on your ILLiad account.You will receive an e-mail when the book is put in the mail. It is important to keep your address up to date, so we send it to the right place.
- Canadian students in School of Education cohorts, may be able to make arrangements for books to be delivered/returned by their Gonzaga-based professors. This option depends entirely on your professor! You make the arrangements and then let us know when and with whom to send any books that have come in for you. Use the "Notes" field on the request form to supply that information or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you will be visiting Spokane, we can hold materials for your arrival. Just let us know when you will be on campus by adding a note on your request form or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
How long may I keep books that are sent to me?
- Books from Foley Library's General Collection check out to graduate students until the end of the current semester and may be renewed two times, as long as no one else needs it.
- Books obtained through interlibrary loan are subject to the due dates set by the lending library, but generally are on loan for 2-4 weeks. You may request a renewal of an ILL book, but renewals are entirely at the discretion of the library that owns the item.
Can I renew books?
- You are allowed to renew Foley Library books up to two times. Use the Renew Items button on the library homepage.
- Interlibrary loan renewals must be requested through your ILLiad account or by e-mailing the ILL office firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I return books that were mailed to me?
- Pack books in a box or a sturdy padded envelope and secure it with packing tape.
- Use this address to return both interlibrary loan books and books from Foley Library:
INTERLIBRARY LOANS, Gonzaga University Library, 502 E Boone Avenue, Spokane, WA 99258-0095
- Let your postal service know you are returning library books to get the correct (usually less expensive) rate.
- If you are returning books close to the due date, email email@example.com and let us know the books are in the mail.