BUILDING EVACUATION PLAN – FOLEY CENTER
IMMEDIATE ACTION - Immediately, upon discovering a fire or hearing the Fire Alarm:
1. ACTIVATE THE FIRE ALARM SYSTEM (Alarm alerts Security which calls Fire Dept.)
2. EVACUATE THE BUILDING
- Use nearest exit (fire escapes are located on both ends of the building)
- Do not use elevators
- Avoid central staircase (unless it is the closest exit)
- Persons with disabilities should be directed to enter a fire escape stairwell and wait for assistance
- Go to a designated Assembly Area:
- Go to one of the designated Assembly Areas: South side of Hemmingson or in front of Herak.
NOTICE: Building occupants are required to leave the building when the fire alarm sounds. Persons not following this mandate are in violation of fire code and may be found guilty of a misdemeanor. Most importantly, they may place themselves or others in jeopardy.
STAFF RESPONSIBILITIES DURING EVACUATION
Do what you can to evacuate the building without putting yourself in harm's way.
- The Circulation Supervisor or the Evening Reference Assistant is the primary contact for Security and the Fire Department.
- Direct someone to call 911
- Meet Fire Dept. in front of building, identify yourself as authority and provide information on fire location, possible occupant locations, etc.
- Public Services Staff: If necessary, use a bullhorn or Fire Panel PA system to direct occupants to evacuate the building using the nearest exit.
- Disability Access Staff: If necessary, use a bullhorn to direct 2nd floor occupants to evacuate using the nearest exit.
- Third Floor Library Staff: If necessary, use a bullhorn to direct 3rd floor occupants to evacuate using the fire escape stairwells on either end of the building. Avoid using the central staircase.
ITS Staff: If necessary, use a bullhorn to direct lower level occupants to evacuate the building using the nearest exit.
OUTSIDE THE BUILDING
- Foley Center Staff will use a bullhorn to direct people to the designated assembly areas: Exits north & west meet at the south side of Hemmingson. Exits south & east meet in front of Herak.
- Monitor building entrances to prevent entry. The first Foley Center staff members to exit the front and rear doors will monitor the ramp, the front doors and the back door to prevent anyone from entering (unless it is unsafe to do so or directed otherwise by the authorities).
- Security or the Fire Department will give the All Clear signal when it's safe to reenter the building. Announce "all clear" to the assembly areas.
GENERAL FIRE SAFETY INFORMATION
- Check doors for heat or smoke before opening. Close doors after passing through.
- Do not lock interior doors. Locked doors could preclude return should the fire prevent exit.
- If smoke is encountered, crawl rather than walk. Air is cooler and less toxic nearer the floor.
- If smoke is present in a stairwell, do not enter the stairwell. Choose another route.
- To extinguish burning clothes; stop, drop, and roll. If available, wrap with blanket or coat.
- After exiting, move to established meeting areas
- Persons with disabilities who cannot use stairs should be directed to shelter in place or enter a fire escape stairwell and wait for assistance. Inform the Fire Dept. and/or Security of the location of this person.
TRAPPED IN WORK AREA
If you are trapped in your work area:
- Seal door/window cracks and ventilation grills with tape (preferably duct tape) or towels and/or clothing (preferably wet) to keep smoke out.
- If there is smoke in the room, open the window to let it out. To signal rescuers, hang a large article of clothing out of a corner of the window. Close the window again and seal cracks. Keep window closed to prevent outside smoke from entering.
- Do not break the window unless the room has been invaded by smoke and you must get air to survive.
- Stay close to the floor for air for cooler, less toxic air.
- Call the emergency phone number (911) to report your fire location.
- If it is necessary to filter smoke, tie a towel or clothing (preferably wet) around the nose and mouth.
- Do not jump from windows or other high locations.
1/5/18 - tk