Due to their value, condition, and uniqueness, UASC materials do not circulate and must be used in the space provided. These collections require handling and security precautions to ensure their long-term preservation. Regulations include the following:
· A valid photo I.D. and registration with the AEON circulation system are required.
· Bags and personal belongings must be stored in a locker (keys provided).
· Pens and notebooks may not be used. Only loose paper, pencils, and laptop computers are allowed in the UASC department.
· Food and drink are not allowed. Water bottles may be stored in lockers.
· Cell phones cannot be used while in the UASC department area in order to provide a quiet study area.
· Notebooks, bags, and similar personal items may be inspected before visitors leave.
· Gloves may be necessary when handling photographs.
· Digital photography is permitted only for research purposes, and the resulting images cannot be transferred to others, further reproduced, published, or displayed without the express written permission of the rights holder. Flash or external lights are not allowed.
Permission to publish materials requires the requestor to complete the "Permission to Publish” form and to receive signed approval from an authorized departmental representative.
The Department does not grant exclusive publication rights. By giving permission to publish, the Department does not surrender their own rights. Applicants agree not to sell, donate, transfer, or otherwise use materials approved for publication for any other purpose.
The applicant expressly assumes all responsibility for observing applicable laws of copyright, literary property, and libel and covenants and agrees to exonerate, indemnify, and hold Gonzaga University and its Trustees harmless for and on account of any and all loss, cost, damage or expense arising out of or in any way connected with the uses which the signer makes or suffers or permits to be made of the materials identified on the "Permission to Publish” form.
Proper credit shall be assigned to all published materials. Citations should include full bibliographic information and read: University Archives and Special Collections, Gonzaga University.
WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research". If a person later uses a reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that person may be liable for copyright infringement.
UASC reserves the rights to refuse a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law. It is the patron’s obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other use restrictions when reproducing materials from Gonzaga’s University Archives & Special Collections Department. The patron expressly assumes all responsibility for observing applicable laws of copyright, literary property, and libel and covenants and agrees to exonerate, indemnify, and hold Gonzaga University and its Trustees harmless for and on account of any and all loss, cost, damage or expense arising out of or in any way connected with the uses which the patron makes or suffers or permits to be made of the materials photocopied, digitized, or otherwise reproduced from the University Archives & Special Collections.
In addition to copyright, some materials presented in these collections may be subject to the terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, publicity rights, privacy rights, licensing and trademarks. When digital reproductions are requested, the size, condition, and donor restrictions of all materials are evaluated. Requests for reproductions may be denied if such work would damage the materials to be copied or infringe on other restrictions.
· Only a single copy of each page or part of the material described in the application will be made.
· UASC reserves the right to limit the number of items to be reproduced or to decline to make a reproduction of any particular item with or without cause.
· Copies of Library's materials may not be placed in any other library, archives, or similar repository without prior permission of UASC and of any other person or persons, institution or institutions whose consent the law requires.
· The copies requested are for the sole and personal use of the applicant, who agrees not to transfer them to others, further reproduce them, publish any part of them or allow their use by other researchers or scholars without express written prior consent of Gonzaga University and other person or persons, institution or institutions whose consent the law requires.
Requests to access materials from UASC are submitted using Aeon. This system allows UASC staff to more quickly and accurately fulfill your requests.
Aeon requests may be submitted before your visit, or can be completed with the assistance of UASC staff during a reference appointment.
Click to access the Aeon system, including detailed instructions for creating an Aeon account and submitting requests for materials.