Following the end of World War II and the rise of the Soviet Union and the start of the Cold War, Gonzaga continued to have a Cadet program on campus. Col. Earnest E. Tabscott was responsible for the first Reserved Officer’s Training Corp (ROTC) Program at Gonzaga. In the fall of 1947, the ROTC program began to train and produce hundreds of the nation’s best officers that served in Korea, Vietnam, and other locations across the globe. The Army changed significantly during this time period, but one constant remained the same: Gonzaga produced the nation’s best military leaders.
On May 11, 1950, President Harry S. Truman visited Gonzaga to receive a Citation of Merit. President Truman came to Spokane after attending the dedication of the Grand Coulee Dam. A huge platform was placed on the quadrangle near the Administration Building facing the engineering building. Over 4,000 spectators watched President Truman receive his Citation from President Francis Corkery, S.J. for his “moral stand in world affairs.” Truman gave a ten minute speech and then presented the ROTC with its unit standard. (See photo of Standard in Cubicle Display cases. Original standard is located in the ROTC Department)
Richard Lewis, photographer
Bottom Row (L to R): Marie Gadbois, Pat Colee, Judy Rose, Mary Beth McRae. Middle Row: Judy Winchel, Ann Stenerson, Kathi Cosgrove, Janie Pryor. Top Row: Sue Ellinger, Janice Henderson
The PRC/6 was commonly referred to as a “Handy Talky”
Worn by Ranger Platoon