The purpose of this guide is to help teach students studying in the sciences, technology, engineering, and math about how information in these fields works, and how an understanding of the scientific and technical information ecosystem can help you conduct more efficient and effective literature searches.
In this guide we'll investigate:
- How is scientific and technical information shared, and with whom?
- What formats do different types of scientific and technical information take?
- How can we most efficiently utilize library and open-web resources to locate the information we're looking for?
- What review processes do different types of information undergo in order to be considered trustworthy?
- What does "trustworthy" even mean in this context?
All of these questions and more are addressed in the guide.