The Gonzaga Law Faculty of today looks totally different from the faculty of years ago. Instead of being part-time professors in the evenings, they are now full-time. Prior to 1948 the faculty were lawyers in a practice during the day and then at night they taught law classes at Gonzaga In 1948 the school hired its first full-time instructors, James E. Royce and Fred Duggan. Previously, the instructors worked as lawyers by day and professors at night.With the change to include a day time program in 1970, there was a need to increase the number of faculty.The number of faculty has changed in response to the changes in enrollment and with the addition of a day division. All of these law faculty members have continued the Gonzaga tradition to support its mission to provide an excellent legal education informed by Gonzaga’s humanistic, Jesuit and Catholic traditions and values.
Two page spread shows the law faculty for the 1928 - 1929 academic year. The Gonzagan, the yearbook, was published annually by the students of Gonzaga University. This was the 3rd yearbook following the 1924 and 1925 editions.
He was Gonzaga Law School’s first regent and he specialized in apologetics, the defense of Catholicism. He gave the name Heidelberg to the 1934 spring banquet and that has been its name ever since. His is also known as the founder of the annual mock-appellate-advocacy competition for second-year law students that now bears his name: the Linden Cup Competition.
Emily Ehlinger was the law school’s first full time librarian hired in 1948. She held a degree in library science from the University of Washington, an undergraduate degree from Dominican College (now Dominican University), and a master’s degree from Gonzaga University.
He attended Gonzaga University on a football scholarship in 1939 and after World War II he returned to Gonzaga to earn his law degree in 1948. He began teaching part time at the law school in 1949. Nicknamed “Smokin’ Joe” for his smoking habit and for the speed at which he taught his courses in wills, trust,s community property, and evidence.
Smitty Myers graduated from Gonzaga law school in 1939. He was the sixth dean of the law school and served two terms as dean of the School of Law first from 1955-1965, and then again from 1975-1978. During a time of controversy in the law school, he assumed his second tenure as law school dean. He left when he was named U.S. magistrate, a position he held until his retirement in 1986.
Law Faculty, 1960
From left to right: Lew Orland, Smithmoore Myers, librarian Emily Ehrlinger, Father James Linden, Joe Nappi Sr., and Father Charles Walsh.
Professor McClintock began teaching in 1972. McClintock had a reputation for using colorful metaphors in his classroom. He was faculty advisor to the Law Review for 17 years and was four time recipient in 1978, 1979, 1990, and 1993 of the Student Bar Association’s Best Teacher of the Year Award.
Professor Gary Randall taught at Gonzaga from 1973-2008. He was one of the most popular teacher’s in the school’s history, and he helped found a tax program. Randall made the tax program fun and as he called it “making tax sexy”.
Father Francis “Frank” Conklin was Dean of the law school from 1965-1966 and again from 1975-1978. Father Conklin joined the Society of Jesus in 1942 and was ordained in 1955. He graduated from Gonzaga University in 1948, and began teaching at Gonzaga High School from 1949-1952. In 1965 he was hired by Gonzaga University to teach constitutional law. In 1966 he announced that the GU Law degree was upgraded to a profession doctorate, a juris doctorate or JD instead of a bachelor of laws. In his second term he presided over an unprecedented rise in enrollment that included students from all over the country. The 1975 enrollment was 984 students, which attracted criticism from the American Bar Association. His resignation caused a short-lived student revolt.
From left to right: Frank Slak, Jr.., visiting instructor; John Maurice, associate professor; Steven Gard, assistant professor; Francis Barkman, visiting professor; Thomas Mapp, professor; David Saraceno, instructor; Philip Dufford, assistant professor; Dennis Olsen, assistant professor; and James Vache, assistant professor.
Because of the growing number of enrollment in the 1970s, Gonzaga Law School had to hire many new faculty members.
Flyer sent to law alumni with Dean Jim Vache’ describing the importance of the Tel-law-thons in raising money for the Gonzaga Law Foundation, which manages and allocates charitable contributions. This event was the major fundraising event for the foundation.
Jim Vache’ taught from 1975 to 2008 full time and then was an adjunct in 2009. He taught and published in constitutional law, administrate laws and legal ethics. He served as Dean of the Law School from 1986 to 1991. He continues to teach as an adjunct for the Political Science Department at Gonzaga.
Clarke taught at Gonzaga from 1975 to 2005 and was the associate dean from 1991 to 1997. He specialized in property law and coached the moot court teams that competed at the national level for eight years. He died in 2012.
Professor Donigan taught at Gonzaga law from 1978- 2010. When she began teaching in 1978, she covered topics such as family law and professional responsibility. Donigan was the 18th recipient of the Myra Bradwell Award. While earning her law degree in 1976, Donigan served as comment editor for the Gonzaga Law Review.
The faculty basketball teams included in the front row: Wick Dufford and Syd Wurzberg. In the back row: Fred Curley, Ken Bjorge, Harding Row, unidentified, Ted Clement, and his two boys, and Charlie Jens. The faculty frequently competed in various sports against the law students for recreation.
Critchlow earned his J.D. from Gonzaga in 1977. He came to Gonzaga in 1980 and was the Director of Clinical Programs from 1999 to 2005. He as an original founder and Director of the Gonzaga Institute for Action Against Hate. He specializes in Clinical Law, Criminal Procedure, and Litigation Skills among others.
Professor DeWolf came to Gonzaga in 1987 and is still teaching. Upon his arrival he quickly established himself as a technological whiz, an expert on torts, and a passionate supporter of intelligent design and right-to-life issues.
Professor Cheryl Beckett received her J.D. from Gonzaga University in 1981. She joined the faculty in 1991 and is still teaching. She became director of the Legal Research and Writing Program. She specializes in Legal Research and Writing, Labor Law, Employment Law, and others.
In the 2001 edition of the The Lawyer, the feature story described how Dean Clute was stepping down from his position but not before opening the new Gonzaga University School of Law Building. He had been the Dean of the Law School from 1991 – 2001. Previously he graduated from Gonzaga in 1960 and the Law School in 1963. He served on the GU Board of Trustees in 1975. He died in 2012.
Professor Araujo, SJ taught at Gonzaga Law School from 1994 – 2005. He was a popular lecturer. He left GU to take a position at the Pontifical Gregorian University in Rome.
1977 – Lewis Halsey Orland
1978 – Michael Case McClintock
1979 – William Harvey Clarke
Thomas Duane Crandall
1980 – Richard B. Hagedorn
Michael C. McClintock
1981 – John Morey Maurice
1982 – Cary C. Randall
1983 – Charles A. Jens
1984 – Lawrence E. Taylor
1985 – James M. Vaché
1986 – William Harvey Clarke
1987 – Vern G. Davidson
1988 – Francis J. Conklin
1989 – William Harvey Clarke
1990 – Michael C. McClintock
1991 – Gary C. Randall
1992 – Stephen Sepinuck
1993 – Michael C. McClintock
1994 – Cheryl Beckett
1995 – Mary Pat Treuthart
1996 – Father Robert Araujo, SJ
1997 – Frank Bowman
1998 – Robert Kelley
1999 – Mary Pat Treuhart
2000 – Cheryl Beckett & Ann Murphy
2001 – Ann Murphy
Hours: Weekdays 10 – 4:30
Open Through May 15, 2013
Foley Library, 3rd Floor